Named for the Treaty of Ghent in 1814 that ended the War of 1812, Ghent was the first suburb of Norfolk, created around the turn of the century. Its buildings, for the most part, date back to the era between 1890 and 1920 and now encompass single-family homes, townhouses, condos and apartment and commercial buildings. In August 2001, North Ghent – the name given to the area between Olney and Princess Anne – was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Ghent nEIGHBORHOOD lEAGUE bOUNDRAY
The Ghent Neighborhood League is a civic association for the area bound by the Hague, Colonial Avenue, south of 21st Street and Hampton Boulevard. Membership is open to all property owners and renters living within this area. The membership fee is $10 a year.